Acupuncture after labour
Congratulations on the birth of your baby! A new period is dawning, in which the care of your baby is paramount in the coming period. as a mother you have delivered a top performance, and you can be proud of that!
Once you have given birth, you are not immediately your old self again. It often takes a lot of time and energy to let your body and mind recover from your pregnancy and childbirth. And now the you also have to take care of your newborn baby.
Recovery after childbirth
Childbirth has a huge physical and emotional impact on the female body. It takes a lot of strength and energy to bring a baby into the world. It makes no difference whether this is a vaginal delivery or a caesarean section.
In the weeks that follow it also requires a lot of energy from the woman to recover physically and emotionally. And of course the new mom is mainly busy taking care of the baby.
It is important to take time after delivery and especially rest to recover, listen carefully to your body.
“When the mother is doing well, she can take good care of her baby.”
Acupuncture helps with recovery
Acupuncture can support recovery after childbirth, for example:
- Fatigue and exhaustion
- Emotional imbalance
- With breastfeeding problems, too much or too little milk or a starting breast infection
- Repair scar caesarean section
The increasingly well-known treatment “mother warming” is also possible in my practice.
In the east “mother warming” is very popular. This is a treatment aimed at warming the abdomen and lower back for a faster recovery after childbirth. The heat has a healing effect, relieves pain, and helps the body return to its original energy level. Heating the abdomen and lower back is also experienced as very pleasant.
The abdomen and lower back are heated with a moxa lamp or moxa stick.
The treatment can take place from day 5 after delivery, and can be repeated a few times at home if desired. For this you get a moxa stick to take home. Starting with “mother warming” at a later time is of course also possible.
“Mother warming” cannot be applied to women who suffer from heat characteristics such as excessive sweating, fever, infections and the wound/scar of a caesarean section.
Did you know?
Did you know that the advice in China is not to go outside for the first month after giving birth, and to stay in bed as much as possible? Healthy cooking is done for the woman, the household is done, and visitors (except immediate family) are withheld until a later date. They do this to increase the mother’s resistance again.
This does not fit in our current society, a lot is expected from the new mother and this is at the expense of the desired rest.
Tips for a nice maternity period
- Get help. After the maternity week, the maternity care stops, and it is very nice if there is help from your parents, your in-laws, other family members or friends. Think of cooking fresh meals. For most people it is a small effort to cook a little extra, and it is a big gesture for the mother and her family. It is also nice if the household is done during the first period, if possible you can also hire a domestic help for this. That way you can focus on the baby and yourself.
- It helps to have a listening ear, and to have lovely understanding people around you who can support you.
- Keep yourself warm. Do this by putting on warm clothes and eating hot meals. This is especially important in the winter. In the summer it is important to make sure that you do not get into a draft and that you catch a cold. Also pay attention to the air conditioning and fans, these can also cause cold and draft unnoticed.
- Provide good, fresh food. In the period after childbirth it is important to eat fresh food. Good nutrition promotes recovery after childbirth. During the maternity period, soups are a good meal to recover from, especially (fresh homemade) chicken soup is known for this.
- Breastfeeding is the most natural food for your baby, make sure that it does not exhaust you. In case of problems, it is wise to have a lactation expert take a look. Don’t keep worrying about it, there are enough trained people and experience experts who would love to watch with you. Also think of the breastfeeding association La Leche League.
Breastfeeding is also a valuable moment of rest for the mother.
Curious how I can help you?
Contact me via the contact page